04-25-2019 History highlights to remember some events of 100 years for Salem Lutheran Church; Hartfo
Hartford School Board renews contracts and awards bids
By Jon Bisnett The Hartford School Board renewed contracts for directors, coordinators and specialists at their combined April Business meeting on Monday the 15th. One-year renewals were approved for Rob Sheffey – Instructional Technology Specialist; Angela Glover – Director of Food Service; Kim deBoom – Student Information Coordinator; Elizabeth Honoway – Behavior Support Specialist; Chris Boot – Dean of Students; David Janicki – Safety Coordinator; Stephanie Hallgren – Migrant Coordinator; Marc Clauser – Director of Transportation & Maintenance and Melissa Galvan – Elementary Behavior Support Specialist.
Other personnel The board accepted the resignation of Bethanie Bonadurer, paraprofessional who resigns effective April 19, 2019, having been with Hartford Public Schools for the past two years. Becky Deckard was recognized by the Michigan Department of Education for her outstanding 25 years of service in the Food Service Department.
Redwood Principal After two successful months as the Interim Elementary Principal for Redwood, Superintendent Andy Hubbard recommended the Board of Education approve a contract for Chris Quist as the principal of Redwood Elementary for the 2019-2020 school year. The motion passed 6-1 with Jason Meachum as the lone dissenting vote. An assistant principal will now be sought. Administrative Restructuring Plan
LUNCH LADY HONORS… Hartford Food Service Director Angela Glover (left) presented Becky Deckard (right) an award from the Michigan Department of Education/ School Nutrition Association of Michigan. It is in recognition of Deckard’s exemplary 25 years of service to the Hartford Public Schools Food Service Program. It was awarded at the April 15 school board meeting. Some quick math adds up to somewhere in excess of two million meals served by Becky to the students of the district over two and a half decades in the kitchen! (TCR photo by Jon Bisnett)
Hubbard received approval on a recommended combining of the Adult/ Alternative Education Director and the Athletic Director position along with hiring a full time science teacher for the High School. The combined administrative position will need to have an administrative endorsement as well as a high school teaching certification. The additional three class periods taught by the full time science teacher will allow the High School schedule the opportunity to offer more electives. The board also approved a layoff resolution needed to implement the restructuring; laying off now so those staff affected by the layoff will have an opportunity to look for another job. Red Arrow Property The real estate transaction of the former Red Arrow Elementary site has been closed with said property now formally owned by the Hartford Public Library. Capital Outlays A bid was accepted from the Kalleward Group of Kalamazoo for replacement of carpet and lockers in the Middle School in the amount of $122,000, with total construction budget of $139,200. Also accepted was a bid from TPC Technologies for audio and lighting equipment for the auditorium priced at $58,021.12. Audit Recommendation was approved to engage the auditing services of Maner Costerisan of Lansing for the coming school year. The cost of audit services is $22,500. After performing the Audit Proposal Evaluation and contacting noted references, they were determined to be the most qualified firm to perform audit services.
History highlights to remember some events of 100 years for Salem Lutheran Church
By Marilyn Pleyer As Salem celebrates its centennial birthday, it is time to remember the events of those 100 years. The members lives have changed and the world. Salem Lutheran Church has seen many changes, but stands steadfast in faith. In 1919 a 3-bedroom home could be purchased for $4,000, average annual income was $1,158 and one pound of bacon was only 55 cents. On July 12, 1942 Rev. Richard R. Gensmer was installed as the congregation waited for the end of another World War. It was also at this time that Salem quit holding a second service in German. Softball teams were formed and in 1949 were part of a league to play. The league started with six teams and grew to thirteen teams. The boys were from other churches and organizations in Watervliet and Coloma. In 1950 the girls of Salem joined a softball league of four teams. Pastor Gensmer followed the call to St. Paul’s in Saginaw preaching his farewell sermon on January 10, 1954. In February the decision to build a new church, on a new location, was made. Rev. Ralph E. Schaller was installed on May 9 of that year. The purchase of the current property was made fronting on Park, Marvin and Wilson streets known as 275 Marvin Street. It is just two blocks north of the original church which was built following a period when the first ever services for Salem were conducted at the hospitality of the Congregational Church.