Police and Fire Reports
By Annette Christie Coloma Township Police remind folks to lock their vehicles Coloma Township Police are observing a pickup in activity as summer approaches. Chief Wes Smigielski would like to urge all township and surrounding residents to make sure that they lock their cars, houses, and keep valuables out of sight and out of vehicles if possible. “We have had a small uptick in car break-ins around the Lakewood Drive area and around Paw Paw Lake in general.” He noted that unlocked cars are being gone through. “Please make sure you lock the cars and if possible place in a lighted area at the house,” Smigielski said. He also would like to remind residents that if they see something suspicious, they should contact police immediately and not wait until the next day. “We are working 24/7 and if you think it’s strange, it probably is, and please call and report what you see,” Smigielski said. This reminder has been shared many times, all over the Tri-City area, and continues to be a problem. In early May, Coloma Township Police reminded residents of the same thing due to a rash of car break-in complaints. In all of those, the vehicle was left unlocked. North Berrien Fire Rescue Dept. introduces 2 new firemen North Berrien Fire Rescue Department (NBFR) would like to introduce residents to their two newest Firefighters. Alec DeLaTorre and Ryan Jerue were promoted from Cadet to Firefighter earlier this week. These young men served as the department’s first Cadets. The NBFR Cadet program offers young men and women of the community the opportunity to serve their community and get training as First Responders. To become involved as NBFR Cadets, young men and women must be 16 years of age; maintain a 3.00 grade average in school; and they will also need their parent’s permission, and a desire to serve the citizens of the community. For more information, anyone interested in the program can contact NBFR at 269-849-3049.
V.B. Youth Fair canceled for 2020
The Van Buren Youth Fair Board of Directors has made the exceedingly difficult decision to cancel the in-person fair scheduled for July 20-25, 2020 as well as all activities scheduled at the fairgrounds through August 2020. This decision has been made in the best interest for the health and safety of their Van Buren County Youth exhibitors and all others who participate in the fair experience. The decision was based on talks with the Van Buren/Cass District Health Department, as well as a myriad of other factors and considerations. The Van Buren Youth Fair Board reviewed Governor Whitmer’s MI SAFE START plan to re-engage Michigan’s economy and the requirements necessary to host in-person events that include, but are not limited to, social distancing in buildings, barns, concessionaire and midway areas, as well as face masks, in addition to many other restrictions. With these strict requirements, the Fair Board feels that it is not logistically feasible to host a fair this year. This decision was not made without due consideration. It was a grueling and complex decision, but the only appropriate decision for the in-person 2020 fair.